Saturday, September 8, 2007

Nature at Work

Yellow Dragon Fly

It is not always necessary to go to 'out of the way' places to get an opportunity
to commune with nature. Often, we need to look only as far as backyards or office gardens.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of species my office campus supported.
The Lake at Baghmane Tech Park is being developed and beautified with several
colourful flowers along its banks. They attract a wide variety of butterflies, bees
dragonflies and damsel-flies.



DamselFly?

Bee in flower


Being situated next to the DRDO campus (which enjoys a dense green cover) is a definate advantage.

Little Egret

We spotted 3 different water snakes. One was kind enough to pose, after it
overcame its initial shyness.



Blue Pansy butterfly

Little Snake


Bird Sightings

Brahminy Kites
Pariah Kites
Little Egrets ( distinguished by yellow feet)
Little Cormorants
White Breasted KingFisher - 1
Large Pied WagTail - Pair
Pond Herons
SunBirds - (too far to tell the species)
Ashy Prinias
Spotted Doves
Blue Rock Pigeon


I was rather disappointed by the number of plastic biscuit wrappers and
cigarette boxes that littered the edges of the lake. It is unfortunate that
educated employees of the surrounding IT companies cannot exhibit civic sense
and dispose of trash in the many bins provided.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The butterfly in this blog has been identified as "The Blue Pansy"

Kousik said...

Rohini, the shots are excellent in your blog. For identification of the dragonflies, you can use Subbu's excellent online book I have a link to.

pm said...

aaah.. doesnt look like Baghmaane Tech Park :) luks lik u shot them in some sanctuary .. good shot..

anoop said...

hey, the photos in this post look extra sharp and the contrast is pretty good too.
I liked the Heron snap.

Unknown said...

Thanks anoop, looks like Im improving at last! :)

Unknown said...

Snake in this blog is identified as a Checkered Keelback water-snake.

Anonymous said...

Love ur blog!! Very nice photographs too. U can also go to my flickr page

www.flickr.com/photos/adityaganeshkamath

Anonymous said...

Actually you can go to this link to view my photos....im sorry I gave u the wrong link above....

thanx

Anonymous said...

The link is

www.flickr.com/photos/adityagkamath/

Lots in Costa Rica said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I think I will leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

Post a Comment

Please do not post ADs here, they will not be published. All comments are moderated.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin